My Beautiful Single Umbilical Artery Baby

All three of my pregnancies were unplanned and I was shocked each time I held a positive pregnancy stick in my hand. But my last pregnancy was the biggest surprise out of all three.

At eight weeks pregnant I had a sonogram to confirm the pregnancy and there on that black and white screen I fell in love for the third time with my little baby. Everything looked great and I was on a regular routine pregnancy schedule.

On my 31st birthday I had a gender reveal and learned I was having another baby girl! She was the first baby we found out the gender. I knew in my heart she would be my last baby and I thought it would be fun to change it up a bit.

At my next ultrasound the technician said that my baby girl had a single umbilical artery. She said it was no big deal because everything else looked great and my blood work was all normal.

So what is single umbilical artery? In a normal umbilical cord there are two arteries and one vein. However, with a single umbilical artery (SUA) there is one artery and one vein. The one artery had to be both the supply-and-waste line that connected me with my baby.

When I saw my doctor and she confirmed the SUA and reassured me it was nothing to be concerned about. My doctor said every month I would have an ultrasound to ensure that my baby girl was growing on schedule. She said the greatest concern was that sometimes SUA babies are small, but that in most cases these babies are healthy.

I called my husband and told him the news. I wasn’t worried at all and neither was he. If there was something to be concerned about my doctor would have told me and ordered more tests. Then I went home and did the unthinkable. I visited Dr. Google.

The only reason I visited Dr. Google was to see if I needed to increase my protein intake to make sure my baby girl was growing and thriving. Instead I learned that my baby girl was likely going to have:

• Cardiac, skeletal, intestinal or renal problems.
  • Congenital abnormalities, especially of the heart
  • Edwards Syndrome
  • Down Syndrome

Wait, what? My doctor promised me that my baby was okay and I had nothing to worry about. I spent endless hours searching for happy SUA stories to confirm what my doctor told me. In the end I convinced myself that my baby girl was going to be okay, but the doubt never fully left my mind.

At my final ultrasound we discovered that my baby was growing on schedule and was thriving. Yay! However, she was breech and according to Dr. Google that meant my baby had:

• Down Syndrome
  • Hip dysplasia
  • Congenital anomalies

And now I was back to feeling defeated and scared.  I tried everything to get my baby to flip: moxibustion by burning herbs around my toes, laying upside down on an ironing board twice a day, acupuncture, chiropractic care, even an external rotation of the baby by my doctor. You name it, I tired it. She wouldn’t flip and I had to have a c-section after two successful vaginal deliveries.

The night before my scheduled c-section I was scared to death. I wasn’t afraid of the surgery. The c-section was the least of my worries. My mind was filled with the fear of how the world would treat my possibly special needs child.

I have a cousin with down syndrome and she is the most beautiful, kind and loving person I’ve ever known. I wasn’t worried about loving a disabled child, but how other people would treat her. Who would take care of her when my time had passed?  Would she know how much I loved her? Would she lead a normal life? As all these thoughts filled my mind, I cried myself to sleep worrying about the unknown.

And now was the moment of truth. As lay on the operating table I began to crack jokes to ease the fear in my mind and in my husband’s eyes. In a matter of moments my baby girl was born. When I heard her first cry, tears began streaming down my face and I cried out, “Is she healthy? Is she okay?”

“Your daughter is as healthy as can be!” said the pediatric nurse who gave her a nine on the apgar score. And my baby who we were concerned would be little because of her SUA turned out to be eight pounds three ounces and 21 inches long! She weighed more than my son did at birth.

Single Umbilical Artery Baby

I’m sharing my story for fellow desperate mothers who’ve discovered their baby has a single umbilical artery or is breech. Trust your doctor. If he or she says not to worry, don’t. Enjoy your pregnancy and embrace every little movement of your growing and developing baby.

My beautiful SUA baby turns one-year-old next week and her first year of life has flown by. My love for her is beyond words and she has brought so much joy into my life.

Stay strong mamas.

• I love this. Dr. Google sure does give the worst case scenarios…. I’ve been there so many times. Each of my 7 pregnancies I was in fear of something and should have just trusted. Especially since I’m a labor and delivery nurse and a pediatric nurse…. 🙂

Debbie, I think my first two pregnancies were the easiest because smartphones weren’t around and I could avoid Dr. Google. I had to sit down and actually visit him.

• I am so glad she was perfect. : )
    Dr. Google is the WORST Dr. ever!

Dr. Google should have his license revoked, Life with Kaishon.

• Brittany says:

So glad she turned out okay! Dr. Google has horrible bedside manner.

Brittany, I’ve been blessed with three healthy children. I really cannot ask for anything more!

• Censie says:

Beautiful baby!! And amazing story of strength! Thank you for sharing. Also, Dr. google sucks! lol we all do it though! #SITSBlogging

Thank you, Censie! There should be warning signs on Web MD or any other self diagnosing site.

• Carrie says:

What a sweet story, thanks for sharing. I had never even heard of this! Sometimes I think how much a miracle it is that any baby is born healthy with all the obstacles that can happen!

Carrie, I know babies are much stronger than we will ever believe. My doctor said SUA babies used to go undetected because ultrasounds were not as strong and clear as they are now. Too much technology maybe?

• Ashley says:

Beautiful story. I hope someone who is struggling with a similar situation will find this post and be comforted. Stupid Dr. Google.

Thank you, Ashley. We all know Dr. Google is so bad, yet we all visit him. Why?

• Bev says:

I often wonder if having all this access to information is a bad a thing. I feel like especially when you’re pregnant everything could be a sign of something wrong. It’s easy to freak yourself out! I’m glad you gave birth to a healthy girl–happy first birthday to her!

Bev, I think we have information overload. Thank you for baby’s birthday wishes! I can’t wait to celebrate her big day.

• Ayanna says:

Congratulations on your beautiful baby’s 1st birthday! Such a beautiful story. Beware Dr. Google!! I know your story will reach someone who desperately needs to hear your testimony at just the right time!! Thanks for sharing your story. Happy Valentine’s Day! xx #sitsblgging

Happy Valentine’s Day, Ayanna. I really hope I help at least one mom-to-be who is searching for a happy story regarding her SUA baby.

• I’ve learned to stay off Google as much as possibly during pregnancy – I swear, it is possible for a hangnail to cause brain cancer on that thing!! #SITSblogging

Megan, I didn’t visit Google at all during my first two pregnancies and both pregnancies were worry free. I wish I would have stayed off last time. Did you know if your eye’s itching it means your right little toe has a tumor? I’m sure that’s a diagnosis somewhere from Dr. Google.

• Cate says:

This is such a great story! You are blessed to have such a beautiful, happy, and healthy little girl! Thanks for sharing this story in hopes that other moms may find it and it can help reassure them in their SUA pregnancy! =)

Cate, yes I am blessed! She is my little spunky girl and I love each moment with her.

• I never heard of SUA before, but my daughter’s first baby was breech. She tried to turn her too, but to no avail. Thankfully, she didn’t go on Google (the internet is great for a lot of things, looking up medical conditions–not so much) so the only thing she knew would happen is a C-section. We have a beautiful, healthy 2 yr old today. I’m so glad your story turned out well. Happy Valentine’s Day!

I’m so happy you have a wonderful, healthy two-year-old grand baby! The only thing I noticed with my daughter being breech is she liked sleeping on her side and with her legs straight out. It think that’s how she was positioned in the womb.

• Carissa says:

So precious! So glad everything turned out so well 🙂

Thank you, Carissa! I’m happy that she is healthy, funny adorable soon to be one-year-old!

• Oh my gosh, Dr. Google is the worse. Just stay away from him!!!! I’m SO happy that your daughter was born strong and healthy – that’s wonderful. She came into the world straight to the arms of one very loving Mama! Thanks for sharing your story as a reminder to trust in your own Dr.

Emily, my doctor is amazing! I’ve gotten to know her on a personal level and I really appreciate the friendship we’ve gained. Thank you for your kind words. I adore my babies.

• I’m so happy for your healthy and happy baby! I know I get myself in lots of trouble searching on google… everything I search the symptoms to my baby’s illness it says he has meningitis. Lesson learned: stay off of Dr. Google! 🙂

Carrie, I think it’s time we all say goodbye to Dr. Google!

What a wonderful story, I’m so glad all three of your children are happy and healthy. Dr. Google has given me a scare or two over the years and somehow I never learn and still go looking for him.
    Thank you for sharing this beautiful story Chastity and hope you enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Kelly, after Lulu I’ve learned to stay off Dr. Google. He’s no longer my doctor of choice. 🙂

• Erica says:

What a beautiful baby girl! Dr. Google is the worst! We scare ourselves into all kinds of things. Choosing a doctor that we can trust who is responsive to our questions makes much more sense – though we ALL fall into the Google trap once in a while!

Thank you, Erica! The funny thing is I trust my doctor. She is absolutely fabulous! I couldn’t ask for a doctor with better bedside manners. Now I only use Google for fun.

• Carla says:

I’m so happy that she was healthy! It’s so horrible that we can scare ourselves with Google. There’s so much good and bad in it.

• brett says:

you do have a beautiful SUA baby! my friend had a little boy with SUA and he was absolutely perfect too

This was my first experience with SUA. My doctor’s office said it is quite common. I’m glad your friend’s baby was perfect, Brett!

• Aanie says:

What a lovely birth story! It’s always great when mama’s share their positive stories! I’m a new follower from Wednesday wined down! Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Aanie

Thank you, Aanie, for joining us at Wine’d Down Wednesday! I’m so happy you appreciated this story!

• Steph Dj says:

Well one good thing came out of Dr Google, I came across this reassuring post! Thank you so much for this. I have been in tears all day, and have not been able to pull myself away from googling. I hope that my pregnancy has a similar amazing outcome. Thanks.

Steph, take a deep breath and listen to the advice of your doctor. I wasted a beautiful pregnancy worrying about nothing. I hope this post helps you find peace and reassurance. Hugs. xo

• Steph says:

Thanks. It really does help. And I REALLY am trying.

If you need someone to talk to feel free to email me, Steph. I know what it’s like to worry yourself sick in this situation. xo