Fire!

“As soon as Mommy finishes making a pee-pee we will make ham and eggs, okay?” I told my adorable two-year-old daughter.

Wrongly assuming I could make a fast tinkle and start breakfast in under a minute, I heard the sound that made me dash for the kitchen. To most people the sound of the microwave turning on doesn’t strike the fear of God in them, but all I could think of was, “Oh, God. The house is going to burn down!”

The night before, the kids and I made Christmas sugar cookies decked out with frosting and sprinkles. I gently wrapped the cookies in foil and stored them in the microwave to keep them from drying out while the frosting settled onto the cookies.

By the time I reached the microwave, the burning was well under way. My innocent looking two-year-old stood by the microwave proudly proclaiming she started breakfast as I was feverishly grabbing the burning foil, frosting and cookies out of the microwave. Luckily, she only managed to leave a few frosting burn marks on the brand-new microwave and we didn’t burn down the house. I don’t think our landlord would have appreciated that very much.

I guess I better start a potty schedule for me.

Does anyone know how to take off burn marks or cover them up?

image

Signature

12 Comments

  • Fawn says:

    Oh my goodness! I love how children are completely oblivious to things like this and are simply trying to help. Yes, I have a remedy (because I’m like your children :)). Try Magic Eraser. When I was the Gm of a hotel, my maintenance and housekeeping teams both carried Magic Eraser around for scuff marks on the walls, as well as burn marks in the microwaves. You can also squeeze lemon juice onto burn marks and let that saturate. Hopefully, one of these solutions works for you :).

    • Fawn: It was cute, in a scary sort of way. She was so proud for helping me out, but was oblivious to what was happening. I will try your trick. Thank you for the tip.

  • Kim says:

    Whew–glad nothing burned up and no one got hurt! good advice above. Hope it helps. Guess you can’t use the micro for storage anymore. Bummer.

    • Kim: I’m so happy no one was hurt and that the house is still standing. I am bummed that I can no longer use the microwave as a storage facility. It did a great job of keeping cookies fresh.

  • Abby says:

    Omg. That could have been a huge disaster. children are so innocent.

    • Abby: Yes, children are innocent and mischievous at the same time. I’m glad the house is still standing!

  • Jen DZ says:

    What a story! Kids are so brave, aren’t they? My smallest guy has taken to unplugging the lamp to turn in off instead of asking one of us taller people to turn it off by the switch. Cute site! I love your style!

    • Jen: My daughter is the youngest and she is fearless. My son was much tamer than she is. Thank you for your sweet compliment and stopping by.

  • Stacy Molter says:

    Such a great story. Sound like something that would happen to us.

    I found and followed you through Mom Loop Friday!

    • Stacy: Thank you for stopping by. I’m glad I’m not the only one who could have an accident like this!

  • Wow such an innocent mistake! Sorry to have this happen to you.
    Did you try magic eraser? It is pretty awesome…

    • Zombie: I’ve been out of town the past two weeks, but I’m going to try the magic eraser and lemon juice.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge