Time is a Thief I Would Rob

Making Time

image

I remember as a kid my parents, aunts and uncles, and grandparents always saying, “time flies by.” Of course, as a teenager time could not go fast enough. There were so many milestones to hit: sweet sixteen and driving a car, graduating high school, going off to college, turning 21, graduating college and making a name for myself in the world.

But now I’m a mommy and I understand that statement. I see how fast my children are growing and changing each and every day. I told my brother-in-law one day how the kids’ birthdays are bittersweet. On one hand I am so blessed to have healthy, happy, amazing children, and on the other hand, they’re one year closer to moving out. I always shed a few tears on their birthdays.

I cried almost everyday the entire summer before my oldest began pre-school. It was so hard to let my baby go. I had never spent a day without him.  Now I look forward to long weekends, along with winter and summer breaks so I can spend more time with him.

When I heard Lady Antebellum’s “Heart of the World” during the drive to my parent’s house for Christmas, I knew I had a new favorite song. As a mommy and wife, “Heart of the World” is a relatable song, especially the second verse:

I leave him sleeping as I rise early

Always up before the dawn

The house is dark, but I see clearly

Kettle sings a morning song

The bacon’s frying, babies crying

I soak up the sights and sounds

Minutes turn to days and I wish that I could slow it down

If grease is the soul of the kitchen

And coffee the drink of the Gods

Routine to perfect to mention

Time is a thief I would rob

Oh, and hope is the soul of the dreamer

And heaven is the home of my God

It only takes on true believer

To believe you can still beat the odds

I try to spend as much individual time with my children and I enjoy planning little dates with them. I love taking my son to the movies and I have quality time with my oldest daughter by taking her on a little girl spa date.

Do you see time flying by now that you have kids or matured in age? Is Time a Thief You Would Rob?

Cheers to a successful, blessed and memorable 2014!

Signature

• Ginny Marie says:

I know how you feel! My youngest is entering Kindergarten next fall, and I’m already dreading it. They grow up so fast!

• Ginny: Too fast, feel free to have a good cry. It always makes me feel better. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

• Jen DZ says:

Their growing up is so heartbreaking. I loved your post. I also count the days until another school break or summer vacation – we only just started second semester and I already marked spring break on the calendar!! Thanks for introducing me to that song, it made me emotional of course. A friend once told me, “The days are long, but the years are short.” So true.

• Fawn says:

I LOVE Lady Antebellum :). As soon as I read the title of your blog post, I was reminded of something I heard someone say years ago, “Procrastination is the thief of time.” I never forgot that. I find that time flies by but I love it. I love growing older and enjoying each day. As long as my days are productive and I have no regrets, I don’t mind moving on to the next day. But I must say, the years fly by so quickly I don’t think I even saw it. Where in the world did that year go? My husband and I were both talking about the fact that we couldn’t recall a year that flew by that quickly. My goodness!

• Fawn: If we lived closer to one another we could be concert buddies! Everyone continues to share these great quotes about time, I love it! I agree, we have to live each day to the fullest and enjoy every moment we have. Have a great 2014 🙂

• Kim says:

Yes, definately! My daughter has friends a year older than her and they are starting to get their learner’s permits. That’s all she can think about is when she can drive. As a mom, I am dreading the day she starts to get behind the wheel. For our kids, these milestones can’t come soon enough. For us parents, they can’t come slowly enough!

• miss sasuke says:

what a cute and soooo much inspiring blog. Even though i coudn’t completely relate on your condition/situation because i am just a student, yet i could consider that the story is very touching. good luck to you and keep up the good work as a mother. I really salute a loving mother just like you.

• Nancy says:

I cried every day this summer as we prepared to send number to off to college 7 hours away. No one knew it, but I did! Time is a cruel task master. New visitor, your site is lovely!

• Nancy says:

Messed up my URL on last post. Hope you will stop by and visit me too!

• Candy says:

Its a strange one, I think that no matter who you ask they will say that as a kid they remember been “bored” and the parents saying that they wish they hd time to be bored and that time passed too quickly but everyone ends up wondering how it passes so quickly. I think its the one thing that truely everyone has in common!

Aaw, I know how you feel Chastity. I definitely feel like time is going by so fast. We are expecting a baby girl in March and I keep trying to spend more time with my son since I know I won’t be able to give him as much attention as he has been used to. I love that you try to spend quality time with each of your kids, I’m sure they feel how much you love them and cherish the time 🙂 Happy New Year to you and your family and hope you have a wonderful 2014:)

Congratulations Kelly! Babies are a blessing!

I’m a very emotional person and I cried the night before my eldest daughter was born. I felt like I was betraying my son by having another baby. I quickly got over it the moment I held her in my arms.

Have a beautiful, wonderful and healthy 2014!

• Kellee says:

I completely sympathize! Great post!
    Kellee recently posted..IntelligenceMy Profile