Let’s Remove ‘Hard’ From Our Vocabulary

I believe the words we use as part of our daily vocabulary have the power to either build us up or tear us down.  What and how we say things determines what we believe we are capable of and what our limitations are. One word I see and hear daily that drives me crazy is hard.

I spend a lot of time networking for My Rays of Sunshine, as well as my day job and other projects I’m working on. I am astonished at how often grown-ups complain about everything being too hard.

Why is motherhood so hard?
What’s the hardest part of your day?
Getting my kids ready is so hard.
It is so hard to take my kids to the store.
I have a hard time working out.
Why does everything have to be so hard?

Do you see a pattern here? Hard is a whining word. It’s like nails on a chalk board every time I read or hear it. All I can think of is a child whining and throwing a temper tantrum when some cries hard.

Mommy, I can’t do my homework. It’s too hard.
I can’t read that book. It’s too hard.
I don’t want to. It’s too hard.
I don’t want to clean my room. It’s too hard.
I don’t want to practice soccer. It’s too hard.

We don’t tolerate when our children whine and quit trying because something is too hard, so why is it acceptable for adults to do the same thing? Stop it!

Let’s replace hard with challenging. By simply replacing hard with challenging, we are placing goals to achieve or challenges to overcome instead of admitting defeat by crying it’s too hard.

Power of Words

I hope you will join me in changing our vocabulary to reflect the life we desire.

Signature_thumb.jpg

Thank you Pig and Dac for featuring this post on Blogger’s Digest!

Pig and Dac

• Kellee says:

Great point of view!
    Kellee recently posted..Pass the mug to the left hand side…My Profile

What a great post Chastity and I love this idea of thinking more on the positive side 🙂

Thank you, Kelly. I try to be as positive as possible. I get one chance at this life and I want to make the most of it. 🙂

• Ayanna says:

Love this post Chastity. It’s so true. Our words have power, and it boils down to what you speak is what you get!!! I think alog of us dont even realize we are making things “harder” on ourselves just by the words we speak and the feelings we put behind them! Great post!
    Ayanna recently posted..NYFW: Coach Fall ’14 Ready to Wear CollectionMy Profile

Ayanna, I’m so happy you agree with the power of words! We can make a difference in our lives by choosing to speak positively.

• Ashley says:

I’m on board! In fact I just left someone a comment with the word hard in it and it would have been a better comment had I used the word challenging instead. I’ll have to remember this for sure.
    Ashley recently posted..Let’s be BBB’sMy Profile

Ashley, I’m so happy you’re on board! Maybe you can make an awesome color palette to match our challenge. 🙂

• Ann says:

I love this – so true! I definitely feel like the word “hard” sets us up for failure, and you’re so right – it’s whining. Great post.
    Ann recently posted..The Art of the Mason Jar LunchMy Profile

Ann, I wasn’t sure how people would respond to this post, but I’m happy to see the responses. I can’t stand whining and it “hard” drives me crazy!

• I agree with you Chastity, my kids use this word way too often and often times don’t want to try or want to give up because they think things are too hard. Yes, let’s wipe it out of our vocabulary.
    Debbie @ Heartbeats Soul Stains recently posted..10 Ways to Get MotivatedMy Profile

Debbie, I cringe my kids say it. It really drives me crazy!

• Cathi says:

Wonderful words of wisdom!! Thanks so much!!
    Cathi recently posted..Last Minute Valentine’s Day IdeasMy Profile

• Thanks for this excellent reminder that words do matter and we should be mindful of the words we are choosing and how they can affect us and others.
    Bev @ Blogging Inspiration recently posted..Inspiring Words #3My Profile

Bev, I love the power of positive thinking. It really changes your outlook on life.

• Yes!! You’re so right! Good reminder to remember how much power our words have…and how we speak into our lives and others lives with them.
    Emily Smith // The Best of this Life recently posted..Made by Me :: Sharpie MugsMy Profile

Emily, I can’t believe how much grown adults complain and whine. It is truly pathetic. Whatever we speak can define our days and lives.

• BabsProjects says:

My daughter recently read a book where one of the characters says “Life depends on Words”. It is so important to stop and think before speaking and I personally don’t think a lot of people understand their consequences. They say things in anger, jealousy, misguided feelings and sometimes only to prove themselves right…. wish they stop and think for a second.. #sitsblogging.
    BabsProjects recently posted..TEE’s First Book Review – The Book ThiefMy Profile

Babs, what a great quote! I try to count to three before I say something I will regret, especially when disciplining my children. It is way too easy to speak out of anger. The words we speak have consequences.