Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide – It’s Time to Personalize It!

Kayla Itsines' Bikini Body Guide - Time to Personalize It!

This post feels like a bad breakup. If I were dumping Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide (BBG) it would go something like this:

Me: I was so excited about getting a bikini body in 12 weeks with your help, but it just isn’t happening.

BBG: Why?

Me: It’s not you, it’s me.

BBG: What?

Me: We’re just not compatible. You have a lot of really great qualities, but we weren’t made for each other.

BBG: Oh. 🙁

Me: You’re a great guide for the right people, but not for me. I know you’ll make other girls happy and lead a successful life, but it’s time that we part ways.

The Art of The Bikini Body

My Problem

I had such high expectations for this guide. As many of you know, I have tried to make Kayla Itsines’  Bikini Body Guide work for me. It’s not happening.

Every time I would have this scheduled as my workout for the day I would have a great reason not to do it. I’d have to go to the store; My kids need picked up early; I’m going on vacation next week; I don’t want to mess-up my hair (really); or I’m hungry.

But now I’m confessing. I’ve come up with every excuse in the book not to follow the guide when it really comes to one main point – I don’t like it. There, I said it. I don’t like doing this guide.

I love working out. I love the way I feel after I’ve left the gym and conquered a new weight goal. But after every time I had finished my daily workout according to this guide, I was just happy it was over. I didn’t feel great or pumped up. I was done and that all that mattered.

And that’s why I can’t complete Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide – it’s just not for me.

Kayla Itsines' Bikini Body Guide - Time to Personalize It!

Next Step

There are things I like about Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide. It’s broken down into four seven minute workout sessions that have specific targeted areas for each day. Yay, it’s short and sweet. It’s the repetitiveness, some of the exercises and lack of weights that I don’t like.

I’m planning on continuing with the exercises that I feel are beneficial for the specified day when I can’t make it the gym. I’ll be getting in a quick workout and not feel like I’m wasting my time. If I personalize Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide based on what works for me, maybe I’ll get some use out of the guide instead of using it in our fire pit.

I really wish that Kayla Itsines’ Bikini Body Guide would have worked for me, but it didn’t. If you’ve enjoyed the guide, I’d love to hear your story!

Do you have a hard time saying something just isn’t working?

When do you think is the best time to throw in the towel?

Sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the body guide, I know what you mean though. It’s hard for me to follow through on a workout if I don’t like it either. I’m glad you enjoyed some elements though and so glad you’re sharing your honest review with us 🙂 Hope you have a great rest of the week! xo

I really don’t like giving up, but I just can’t continue with it. It’s so weird to be unhappy with a workout plan. I wonder how many people say they love something just to say it? xo

• Mrs. AOK says:

Sorry this didn’t work out for you. I was like this with Insanity, I didn’t want to give it up, but it was tough on my body.
    Crossfit is too, but I love it. It’s different.
    Thanks for your honesty!
    XOXO
    Mrs. AOK recently posted..That’s What She Said: Giving it awayMy Profile

I think there’s a completely different feeling you have from heavy weights. You feel powerful and sexy at the same time! Being a cardio queen makes me feel like a total fool. I’m pretty sure I look like one too! 🙂 xoxo

• Aankhi says:

I know how you feel – when I bought it, I was really excited to get started and I completed 5.5 weeks or so of it. I did see changes (I still have about 4-5% body fat I want to lose – I estimate myself to be about 25% right now) but – a) The moves got too hard and I would rather do some moves WELL than do them with poor form, b) It was not enough weight training which is something I used to really enjoy, c) My old ankle injury started to act up. I found myself making excuses as well but I did not want to say “I stopped doing it” because I felt like a quitter and it was a lot of money!

I finally decided to stop doing the workout when I realised I was letting this state of “exercise routine limbo” stop me from strength training at all! I have, since then, decided to only use BBG only when I am away from a fully stacked gym, like on holiday, and do a strength training program that I enjoy at the gym instead. What I am taking away from the guide, however, is the alternate day LISS sessions, HIIT training 1-2 times and 2 days of weekly rehabilitation.
    Aankhi recently posted..Week 1 update/diet breakMy Profile

I’ve been worried that Kayla’s army would come and attack me for this post. I remember before I purchased the guide looking for blog reviews of the guide and only finding a random post about doing a week of it and that was it. I completed 10 weeks of it and never really felt like I accomplished anything. I too found that I had poor form, but it was because I was just going through the motions to simply be done. I know strength training is best for me and my body. I’m happy that you were able to take few things from the guide as well. At least it wasn’t a total waste of money. Best of luck on your journey!

• Ash, my co-blogger and teenage daughter, follows Kayla and has been doing her program for 8 weeks. She loves her and talks often about the results she is seeing.
    Natalie @ our parallel connection recently posted..Keep up with the lingo – Top 20 text abbreviationsMy Profile

I’m happy to hear your daughter is having success with the program!

• Sarah says:

Hi, I feel the exact same way with you after completing it one time through. I would have to force myself to do the workout everyday and it felt too tedious. Because of this, I don’t think I worked as hard for each workout. I have decided to start something new and go to my gym to do more cardio and weight training. Do you have a new workout plan you are planning to do? If so, please let me know because I would love to know!!!

I feel better knowing that I wasn’t just a quitter with the program. I’m in the process of moving, but as soon as I’m settled in I will begin a new program and will definitely share it! Best wishes on a successful fitness journey.